Checklist: Is College or Treatment the Right Choice for Your Son?
Deciding whether to continue with college or seek treatment for mental health and substance abuse issues can be a difficult decision for parents. While a college education is often viewed as the traditional path to success, it may not be the best fit for every young adult. At the same time, mental health and substance abuse issues can have a significant impact on a young adult’s academic performance, personal health, and relationships. To help make an informed decision, we’ve created a checklist for parents to consider when deciding if college or treatment is the best choice for their son right now.
- Assess your son’s mental health and substance abuse issues. Are these issues impacting his academic performance, personal health, and relationships?
- Consider the severity of your son’s mental health and substance abuse issues. Are they significantly impacting his ability to continue with college?
- Evaluate your son’s readiness and motivation to seek help and make positive changes.
- Research and compare the benefits and drawbacks of continuing with college versus seeking treatment for mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Consult with mental health and addiction professionals to determine the best course of action for your son’s unique needs.
- Explore alternative paths to personal growth and learning, such as life adventures, travel, internships, and job opportunities.
- Determine the financial resources available for college education and treatment options.
- Consider the potential long-term benefits and drawbacks of college education versus treatment for mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Prioritize your son’s well-being and seek help and support as needed from mental health and addiction professionals.
Remember, every person’s journey is unique, and success can come in many forms. At Legacy Treatment Centers, we offer personalized care and support to help young adults navigate mental health and substance abuse issues and find success outside of traditional college education. Use this checklist as a guide to make an informed decision about your son’s future.